Knox Festival Info
- Date Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 March 2018.
- Hours 10am – 5pm both days, plus a 5pm – 10pm Saturday night program.
- Address Wally Tew Reserve, Brenock Park Drive, Ferntree Gully.
- Entry Family $12. Adult $5. Children $2.50. Concession $4
For Knox Festival 2018 we challenge our community to Activate Knox! This year’s dynamic theme focuses on the 5 senses: taste, sight, touch, smell and sound. It will explore the numerous and marvellous ways that the people of Knox ‘come together’ and ‘come alive’ within our great city.
What does it mean to connect in this way, with all that Knox has to offer? For Knox Festival 2018 we invite one and all to step out, step up and step into a festival that promises to be a feast for your senses.
By way of a programming ‘snapshot’, below is a small sample of what is on offer at Knox Festival in 2018.
- Backyard Bonanza in the heart of the Knox Festival site is a celebration and tribute to the great Aussie Backyard. Perhaps it also tips its hat back to a time when backyards were where ‘things just happened’, a time when being outdoors was just what you did. Backyard cricket and tippy go was a ‘thing’, the obligatory sprinkler ran full bore for every summer scorcher, and there was a trampoline that sat pride of place next the pergola, clothes line and expansive BBQ zone. And it didn’t stop there, there were bugs to catch, hop scotch to play, hoola hoops to twirl, cubbies to hide in and kites to launch. The backyard was the nerve centre of activity, it was a haven from the ‘real world’, it gave us all the chance to come together, to share, to smile, to celebrate. In the backyard you could slay magic dragons, chase fairies, wrestle the dog, be invisible and break every conceivable sports record known to man! Backyard Bonanza is inspired by the great Aussie dream and those shimmering symbols that somehow help characterise our culture and identity.
- Primary Schools Banner Competition: One of the longest running and most successful activities within the festival – the Primary Schools Banner Competition. 15 plus schools participate annually, bringing together up to 400 children and their families. The banners are judged by the Mayor and other panelists and prizes are awarded in various categories.
- Knox Festival Sports Zone: shaping up more like a ‘Knox Olympiad’ with a huge sporting ‘taste and test’ zone hosted by local sporting clubs and niche activity groups.
- RUCCIS Circus are back with an incredible array of presentations and workshops for the community.
- FTGAC hosts a mixture of visual art displays, workshops and demonstrations, including a large Virtual Reality Zone featuring VR video entertainment machines. These machines represent the absolute latest in VR technology. They provide surround sound, air propulsion, as well as 90-360 mechanical movement. It’s like you’re there!
- The Canopy Stage – this year’s main stage at Knox Festival embraces a distinctly local essence. Songwriters, bands, emerging talent, solo artists and those that have ‘made it’, come together to share their magic and passion for music with the people of Knox.
- Big Top Knox unearths some of the most unusual, some might say rarest of talents right here in our own backyard. Kids whose gifts, abilities, tricks and stunts are just so whacky, so crazy, they have been given a spot on their own main stage. So who fits the bill? Kids that can burp the national anthem, skate blindfold, memorise and recall a treacherous amount of information, tame wild animals, impersonate Donald and Melania TRUMP, and play Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata on their throat. Kids that can flip/jump/skip on one leg while balancing a plate on their nose. Boy and girls that can spell better than anyone they know, make things vanish into thin air, write or recite poetry like Yeats, make people or themselves laugh uncontrollably. On this stage expect to see speed drawing, improvised RAP, death defying feats – ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!
- Flavours of Knox – In this year’s Knox Kitchen, touch, taste and smell take centre stage! The focus of this gastronomical extravaganza will be on the Flavours of Knox. Local and cultural cuisine, local foodies and business invite festival goers to come in and sample their goods and wares while rocking the wok and finessing the fry pan. Flavours of Knox is where to go to Activ8 your tastebuds!
- A Journey Through Time – Once again, the Knox community are invited to step back in time to explore and uncover the riches of our collective past. This is a community of passionate time warriors who play for keeps. They serve their role as historical reenactors with passion, authenticity and integrity. Expect to be rubbing shoulders with Saxons, Visigoths and Viking warlords very soon.
- Dance Fusion – A giant dance showcase, putting front and centre the very best dancers and dance academies that Knox has to offer.
- The Knox Factor – The highly anticipated Knox Factor returns with another stand-out line up of local youth artists featuring the outstanding vocal talents here in Knox. Again, the winner is given the opportunity to perform with their stars as one of the headline artists at Carols 2018.
- The Knox Gift – Now in its third year, new starters will shape up to the line in the hope of being crowned fastest man, woman, boy and girl in Knox. There will prize money, there will be sweat, there will be bragging rights and there will be glory!
- The Twilight Cinema – a favourite amongst Knox locals. Stay tuned to find out the feature film for 2018.
- A giant Fireworks display
- With the Sunday program we do it all again!
- Plus, all Oppy Bike routes will be open to OPPY bike rider loyalists, with free entry to all cyclists upon entry to festival.
Ferntree Gully Arts Centre
Sense of Self for Knox Festival 2018 is a large multi-disciplinary art installation that takes its lead from this year’s Knox Festival theme, Activate Knox. The installation will explore and unpack the nature of our 5 senses: taste, sight, touch, smell and sound. The space will be highly theatricalised and designed in a way that playfully and creatively prompts festival goers to ‘activate’ their senses in dynamic and unforeseen ways.
Housed inside the Ferntree Gully Arts Centre, the space will be darkened and quiet, reflective and immersive in nature. There will be 5 specific sites within this zone. Each site will riff on one of the sensorial elements in accessible but surprising ways.
Sense of Self will be created in conjunction with six local Secondary Schools (over 120 young people) who will each make their own ‘nocturnal nest’ using recycled/re-purposed materials that have a personal meaning to them. These ephemeral works will hang inside the installation complimenting the broader piece.
This large space will serve as art gallery, chill space and safe zone. We will encourage user groups and organisations from across Knox whose goal is to support young people with sensory based issues to come in and PLAY!
Calling all singers, musicians and bands… the Knox Factor is for you!
A fun performance opportunity that’s open to everyone 5 years to 25 years.
Auditions will take place on the stage at Knox Performing Arts Centre during February 2018, and the finals on the Knox Festival Stage in early March. Perform for the chance to win great prizes including paid live performance opportunities, professional industry mentoring, music vouchers and more!
Parking is limited, so we suggest you ride your bike or jump on board our free Community Bus. Bike parking is available at Lyndale Ct. For bus times, please see the Getting There page.
Volunteering at Knox Festival
Expressions of Interest for the 2018 event have now closed.
If you’d like to be involved with future events, please contact the Festival and Events team on 9298 8000 or send your details to email@example.com.