Tirhatuan Drive: ‘Tirhatuan’ homestead, Rev James Clow, 1838, earliest European settlement site in City of Knox.
The first settler in all of the area east of Dandenong Creek was a Scottish Presbyterian minister, Rev James Clow, whose Corhanwarrabul pastoral run extended for approximately 36 square miles to the foot of the Dandenongs. In August 1838, Clow obtained the squatting rights for this land and he established his homestead in 1841 to the north of Wellington Road, a couple of hundred metres from the present bridge over the Dandenong Creek. He named his homestead “TIRHATUAN” which was believed to be the local Aboriginal word for the sugar glider possum that can still be found in the area.
James and his son had not been particularly successful squatters, but the purchase of two acres in Swanston Street, near the current Myer store site, eventually made them both wealthy men. It seems that the abandoned homestead eventually tumbled down in the 1860’s.
Sources: Knox Historical Society, City of Knox Historical Street & Road Names by Ray Peace 2011.